The COX Family - in Angus and Perthshire

3 Jun 1787 in Dundee
6 Jun 1787 in Dundee
James Scott
Jane Milln
James 1783
Janet 1789
3 Sep 1807 in Dundee
James Cock 1776-1848
James, David, William, Robert, Henry, Thomas, George, Edward
Jane 1806 (out of wedlock), Helen 1824
30 Sep 1824, following the birth of Helen
4 Oct 1824

Helen was the daughter of James Scott, a mealseller in Dundee, and Jean (or Jane) Milln. She was born in Dundee on 3rd June 1787 and baptised three days later. She had an older brother James, and a younger sister Janet (though in his journal, her son doesn't appear to know about Janet).

She was probably the mother of Jean, daughter of James Cock baptised in Lochee in August 1806, although she did not marry James until a year later. She then became mother to a succession of eight sons, born approximately every two years from 1808 to 1822. In 1824 she duly gave birth yet again. This time it was a daughter and clearly a difficult birth from which she did not recover. She died three days later.

Helen is described in Harry Cox's book on the Cox Family as 'a woman of remarkable force of character as well as sweetness of disposition'. Her death at the age of 37 utterly devastated her husband James and he was never the same again.

Record of the birth and baptism of Helen Scott in 1787

The City Churches
From 1782 to 1841 Dundee had four separate churches under
one roof, each with their own Minister and Kirk Session.
This is where James and Helen were married in 1807.

Record of James and Helen's marriage in 1807
'James Cock manufacturer of Liff and Helen Scott,
daughter of the late James Scott mealseller in this parish'

The Sailing Brig Studley - artist unknown
A merchant ship circa 1830.
The 'Gratitude' would have been a similar type of ship.

SOURCE: The James Cox Journal

Helen Scott's Family

Our dear Mother was one of twoJames doesn't appear to know about a third sibling Janet, two years younger than Helen of the family of James Scott and Jane Milln, a very loving couple I was told. Grandfather I never saw. He died before Mother was married, but Grandmother lived until 1828 and was often out at Foggyley living for the summer, a very little stout lady.

She came from the south of Meigle and the house in which she had been brought up is still standing and inhabited during the summer season by a grand niece. Grandfather came from Kinclaven.

My Uncle James, Mother's brother, served apprenticeship with Wm Walker, writersA solicitor in Scotland was known as a writer in Dundee, but he lost his health from the confinement. When a commission was bought for him in the Navy, on board man-of-war he went, with the view of becoming Purser, to which station he very soon attained - his letters will speak for themselves.

SOURCE: The James Cox Journal

After the Fire

When all was over and the poor downcast CartersCarters had been called in to transport the finished linens to warehouses in Dundee prior to being sold not being now required, were sent home, Mother applied her energies and her forethought to how she might turn the remnants to the best account.

On the Monday morning she got a number of young women with a pair of scissors each, to cut off all the burned edges. She then gave orders to have the remnants washed, both large and small, and even those of a few inches were not to be lost. I have a distinct recollection of some that had been carried down by the stream being collected and sent back to Mother, which showed the sympathy of all the public down the stream.

The next thing after, they were nicely dried and mangled, selected and put up in bundles as near the same length of pieces, and packed in bales ready for the Market. She then selected one of the ships Father was connected with 'The Gratitude', Captain Gellatly, a very nice looking fellow and an honest man, the son of old ConvenorA person who calls or chairs a meeting Gellatly, Blacksmith whose shop was the westmost building north side Dock Street, Dundee.

Mother sent the Gratitude out to Montreal, giving orders to the Captain to do what he thought best with the cargo after he got there, so as to realize the greatest amount. Away he went and returned with £800 which pleased Mother and I am under the impression the amount came up quite to her expectations. This was a windfall, though a costly one coming in the way it did, which at one time she little expected.

SOURCE: The James Cox Journal

James Recalls the Death of his Mother

Thus passed away one of the kindest and most affectionate of Mothers. While I am writing my heart is like to break, and mine eyes overflow with tears. Often I do remember, when very young, kneeling at her side and repeating my evening prayers to her dictation before going to bed, and how often during the night would the anxious mother visit her boys to see if all was well with them.

Dear Mother, I can well remember her death, how affecting. I was the last to shake hands and bid her farewell. She recognised me, then said 'Oh. Pa.' and passed away. She was moved from her bed on the soft mattress to the middle of the floor for the purpose of getting more fresh air, all friends gathered around her. She was quite sensible to the last breath and died without a struggle.