The COX Family - in Angus and Perthshire

13 Sep 1818 at Lochiefield
James Cock 1776-1848
Helen Scott 1787-1824
James, David, William, Robert, Henry, George, Edward
Jean 1806, Helen 1824
20 Nov 1866 in Dundee
Adelaide Campbell Galloway, widow of William Brown
Stepson - William Andrew Brown 1851
6 Stepdaughters
1 Jan 1892 at Duncarse, Dundee
Western Cemetery, Dundee

Thomas was the sixth son of James Cock and Helen Scott, the last of their children to be born at Lochiefield. Two years before he was born, a devastating fire had destroyed the Lochiefield linen works and his father had set up a new business. He had also built a new house at Foggyley nearer the centre of Lochee, and when Thomas was only two months old, the whole family left Lochiefield and moved to Foggyley.

He continued living there until he was in his mid-30s. By that time both parents had died and only William,Thomas and Ellen remained at Foggyley. In February 1854 Ellen moved out following her marriage and William was married the following month. William now needed the house to himself and Thomas moved into Wellhead House, not far from Foggyley.

About ten years later he bought Duncarse House in Perth Road, a few miles south of Foggyley and shortly after this, at the age of 48, he married Adelaide Campbell Brown (nee Galloway) a 45-year-old widow with seven children. She and Thomas did not have children together.

In 1871 he bought the 97-acre estate of Maulesden on the River Esk near Brechin where he made many improvements, particularly to the gardens. He also acquired the Estate of Strathmartine, a large agricultural estate just north of Lochee.

Thomas was an extremely able and influential businessman, and a generous benefactor, particularly in Lochee. A short biography from the University of Dundee Archives is given below, which covers the main events and achievements of his life.

Duncarse, 381 Perth Road, Dundee
Thomas Cox lived here from 1864 until his death in 1892.

Maulesden House, Brechin
Purchased by Thomas Cox in 1871

Lochee Parish Church, Methven Street, Lochee
Built in 1830, opposite the gates of the Camperdown Works.
Renovated 1883 at a cost of £5000 donated by Thomas Cox

Swimming Baths, St Marys Lane, Lochee
Built at the expense of Thomas Cox

Tomb of Thomas H Cox, Western Cemetery, Dundee

SOURCE: Archives of the University of Dundee

Biography of Thomas Hunter Cox

Thomas Hunter Cox of Maulesden and Duncarse, Deputy-Lieutenant and Justice of the Peace for the County of Forfar, was born in 1818. He was the sixth son of James Cock (later Cox) of Foggyley and Helen Scott.

After attending school in Lochee, Thomas finished his education at the Dundee Academy. He then entered the office of Mr James Buist, flax merchant, where he received a good commercial training.

In 1841 he joined the firm of Cox Brothers, which within a short time became the largest manufacturers of jute goods in Europe. Thomas was well suited to the management of the office including the financial affairs of the firm. He was methodical, punctual and took care in his work and he had a mild and kindly manner.

He was a staunch Conservative and a member of the Established Church. He was an elder in the East Kirk, and was a zealous but liberal Churchman. His beneficence extended to many churches in different parts of the country.

St Luke's, that had been vacated by the United Presbyterians, stood empty for several years until it was securedIn 1874 Thomas bought the empty U.P. Church in Lochee's High Street, after which it was renovated and reopened as St Luke's Parish Church. by Mr Cox, and went on to become the centre of a flourishing congregation of the Church of Scotland. Thomas H Cox also contributed regularly to this church and to the Lochee Parish Church.In 1883 Thomas paid for the internal renovation of the Lochee Parish Church in Methven Street, at a cost of £5000.

Throughout his life he took a great interest in the Lochee area and in schemesThomas personally funded a number of facilities in Lochee including a public library and swimming baths. concerning the welfare of the community, giving financial support to the Lochee Literary Association, Lochee Christian Association, the Bog and other Missions.

He was a supporter of the movement in favour of a Medical School for Dundee an in 1886 he donated £12,000 to the Council of University College to establish and endow a Chair of Anatomy.

Thomas H Cox was appointed to the Boards of many financial companies. He was also a Director of the Northern Assurance Company, of the Laing Overhead Sewing Machine Company, and of the three Scottish American Trust Companies. In 1873 he had became one of the original shareholders in the First Scottish American Trust, along with Messrs John Guild, John Sharp and Thomas Smith.

Also in 1873, the Oregon and Washington Trust Investment Company was founded, and Thomas H Cox became a director. Three years later the Dundee Mortgage and Trust Investment Company was established under the same directors. The two companies were later amalgamated to form the Alliance Trust Company, and Thomas H Cox served as Chaiman of this company for the year prior to his retirement in 1885.

Thus, he took a leading role in establishing two extremely profitable local investment companies. However, he also suffered the misfortune, along with some of his colleagues, of being associated in a smaller undertaking, the Oregonian Railway Company, which proved disastrous to its shareholders.

In 1866 Thomas married Adelaide Campbell, daughter of James Galloway, and widow of William Brown, flax-spinner. They did not have children. He purchased the suburban residence of Duncarse from George Armistead and in 1871 he purchased the estate of Maulesden, near Brechin from the representatives of Colonel Lauderdale Maule. Thomas H Cox died at Duncarse on 1 January 1892, about two years after the death of his wife.

SOURCE: Around the Ancient City by David Edwards, 1904

First Tour - Maulesden

The grounds and imposing mansion of Maulesden, however, first demand more than a passing notice. The house occupies a charming site on the banks of the Esk, and within two miles of Brechin, although the dense masses of foliage almost conceal it from view.

The policiesEnclosed parkland are extensive, and command rich bits of scenery. The walk, amid great overhanging boughs along the steep banks of the river, is charming, while rustic bridges span a clear sparkling burn, which, before it enters the South Esk, forms a beautiful cascade. Ornamental terraces and rich flower plots face the river, and a fine lawn slopes smoothly down to the water edge.

The mansion is a large and handsome castellated edifice. The original house was built during the 18th century, and was soon afterwards acquired by Mr Binny. The Hon. Wm. Maule, third son of the Right Hon. William Ramsay Maule, first Lord Panmure, had the western portion of the house built in 1854, and the old or eastern division altered to correspond with the new section. It is in the old Scotch baronial style, after designs by the late Mr Bryce, Edinburgh.

After the death of the Hon. Mr Maule, the house was for some time occupied by his widow and family. Mrs Maule sold the estate to George A. Haig, from whom it was purchased in 1871 by Thomas Hunter Cox of Duncarse, Dundee, a partner with his brothers in the great firm of Cox Brothers, Lochee and Dundee.

Mr Cox, who died in 1892, greatly improved the beautiful surroundings. The view from the grounds is delightful - the stately river, flowing peacefully and disappearing beneath the one-arched Stannochy Bridge, the rich valley and finely-wooded hill, with variegated green fields nestling cheerfully between, the winding foliage-shrouded walks, murmuring rills in the wooded den falling into the river in a miniature cascade of great beauty.